A tasty twist on a classic – this pineapple chicken salad is just the thing for a picnic!
What kind of meals do you like in the summer? If you’re like me, they need to have two qualities: be able to be made ahead of time, and be able to be made withOUT the oven. There’s nothing worse than using the oven in the summer, right?
I love to make salads in the summer, and not just green salads, although those are great! I’m a big fan of fruit salad, potato salad, macaroni salad, chicken salad…really any kind of salad is good in my book! We eat chicken salad pretty regularly, and sometimes I like to change things up a bit and add a few extras.
This pineapple chicken salad is so easy to make, but it really is a fun twist on this classic. Fresh pineapple and a bit of coconut make this a tropical treat. If you are able to have nuts, some slivered almonds would be a great addition here.
You can enjoy this pineapple chicken salad on a bed of greens, stuffed into a pita, or on your favorite toasted bread. It’s a perfect light summer lunch!
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- ½ of a sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups diced fresh pineapple
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup egg free mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken breasts in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring them to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the pot and set aside to cool.
- Once the chicken is cool, use your fingers or a fork and knife to shred it or cut it.
- Place the chicken, onion, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and stir well.
- Fold in the pineapple and coconut flakes and gently stir.
- Serve on a bed of greens, or your favorite bread.