Disclosure: Thank you to Enjoy Life Foods for sponsoring this post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Festive gingerbread sandwich cookies are a family favorite at the holiday time! These gingerbread sandwich cookies are gluten free, vegan, and allergy friendly!
What holiday cookie recipes do you just have to make each year? What cookies just say Christmas to you?
Gingerbread cookies and gingerbread houses are a traditional favorite for many families. Everything about making gingerbread is so festive, isn’t it? The aroma of spices as it bakes, frosting and decorating the finished cookies, and sitting down and eating them with your children…gingerbread makes for a very cozy holiday memory.
If you’re new to baking with food allergies this holiday season, you might be wondering how to adapt your favorite cookie recipes to suit your food allergy needs. Thankfully, Enjoy Life Foods has a full range of allergy friendly baking mixes and baking chocolate that will help your holiday recipes be successful and delicious.
The All-Purpose Flour from Enjoy Life not only performs very well, it’s also certified gluten free, vegan, and it’s free of the top 8 allergens, as well as sesame, sulfites, casein, and potato. It’s a wonderful cup for cup blend for all your recipes – just use it as an equal substitute in place of all-purpose flour.
This allergy friendly flour blend is even a little healthier for you – it contains ancient grains like teff, millet, buckwheat, and quinoa, and it even contains 5 grams of plant-based protein per serving.
Gingerbread cookies are delicious no matter how you enjoy them, but they’re extra special when made into sandwiches and filled with creamy dairy free frosting.
This recipe can easily be used for gingerbread men – just cut the cookies into your desired shapes and use the frosting to pipe on designs.
This all-purpose flour blend is perfect for cut-out cookies – the dough holds its shape very well while baking, resulting in lovely, festive gingerbread sandwich cookies.
- ⅜ cup vegan buttery spread
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- ⅛ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⅛ cup Enjoy Life Foods Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- Place the vegan buttery spread and the brown sugar in a mixing bowl and mix on medium low speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the molasses, applesauce, vanilla, and water, and mix on low speed to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
- Divide the dough into two balls and wrap in plastic wrap, then flatten into a disc. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place one disc of dough on a surface that has been coated with Enjoy Life All-Purpose Flour.
- Using a well-floured rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is ¼ inch thick.
- Cut the dough into desired shapes. I used 2 inch round Linzer cookie cutters, but you can be creative! Hearts, stars, or trees would work well for sandwich cookies.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes. Don't overbake. If you use very large cookie cutters, the baking time may vary.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the other disc of dough.
- Once the cookies are cool, make the frosting. Place the vegan buttery spread and one cup of powdered sugar in a mixing bowl and beat together.
- Alternate adding more powdered sugar and non-dairy milk until the frosting is a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Spread frosting on the underside of half of the cookies, then top with more cookies to make a sandwich. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.