Rich, chocolatey, and nutritious, these chocolate hemp seed energy bites are a great snack or dessert!
Guys, I’m not going to lie. I miss nuts.
Since Baby Bee was diagnosed with a severe tree nut allergy, I don’t eat nuts at all anymore. Not even when I’m not at home. It just isn’t worth the risk to me – I don’t want to risk him having a reaction because I have nut particles on me somewhere.
But I really miss eating nuts. We used to have bags or raw almonds that I would just snack on, and I also loved roasted cashews. And almond milk and walnuts on oatmeal, and…all the nuts! But of course I will do anything to keep him safe, so it’s not a big deal.
I do wonder about missing out on all the wonderful health benefits of nuts though, so recently I have made an effort to replace those nutrients in my diet with seeds. There are so many great seeds out there, and although I don’t necessarily love snacking on seeds plain, I do like incorporating them into recipes, like these chocolate hemp seed energy bites.
These chocolate hemp seed energy bites include two types of seeds – pumpkin seeds and hemp seed hearts.
Pumpkin seeds are a great source of magnesium, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids. And hemp hearts are rich in omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, are high in protein, and contain all the essential amino acids.
Then I added some dried plums and dried cherries as well for fiber, vitamin K, and cholesterol lowering benefits.
These energy bites are not only full of nutritional benefits, they are also very tasty. These are perfect for a dessert or snack. And I really don’t think you’ll miss the nuts!
Chocolate hemp seed energy bites are:
- great for a post-workout snack
- perfect for packing in lunches
- easy to take on a road trip!
Chocolate Hemp Seed Energy Bites.
- Place the hemp seed hearts, pumpkin seeds, dried plums, and dried cherries in the food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the cocoa powder, maple syrup, and dairy free chocolate chips if using. Pulse until it all comes together - the mixture will be thick.
- Put some cocoa powder and some hemp hearts into two small bowls. Roll the mixture into one inch balls, then roll in either the hemp hearts or the unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Place on a plate and cover with waxed paper. Refrigerate until firm, about two hours, then transfer into an airtight container for storage. These should keep for about a week in the refrigerator.
What are your favorite seeds? And what are your favorite ways to eat them?