Creamy orzo with buttered breadcrumbs and mushrooms is a comforting dinner recipe that’s filling and delicious! This is a simple recipe that doesn’t take long at all to make.
Creamy pasta dishes can be so comforting! I love a nice warm bowl of pasta in a cream sauce. Add some veggies and a few crunchy breadcrumbs, and that’s just perfect to me!
This creamy orzo is just the thing to make when you’re in the mood for some gluten free comfort food.
Gluten Free Pasta
The only brand of gluten free orzo that I have seen is Delallo. This brand is available in some grocery stores, and I have also seen it on Amazon.
If you can’t find orzo, you could use gluten free macaroni. The finished product will be a little different texture, but it will still be very good!
I used Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds for this recipe and they melted very nicely. Feel free to use the vegan cheese that works for your dietary needs.
Choose a neutral tasting dairy free milk for best results. I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage, and it worked well.
As far as breadcrumbs go, you can purchase gluten free breadcrumbs at the store and use those, or you can make your own by saving the ends of gluten free bread and making crumbs in the food processor.
If you make the breadcrumbs ahead of time, just store them in the freezer to keep them fresh. It’s definitely less expensive to make your own breadcrumbs, and it’s a great way to use up the ends of loaves of bread.
Watch the video below for more gluten free dinner ideas.
- Cook the mushrooms with garlic and onions for more flavor.
- Add more veggies, like zucchini, carrots, or cherry tomatoes.
- Use rice or quinoa instead of gluten free pasta.
More Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Creamy Orzo with Buttered Breadcrumbs and Mushrooms.
For the creamy orzo:
- 8 ounces gluten free orzo cooked according to package directions
- 1 ½ cups Daiya Dairy Free Mozzarella Style Shreds
- ⅔ cup non-dairy milk
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- salt and pepper to taste
For the mushrooms:
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Cook the gluten free orzo according to package directions in a large soup pot.
- While the pasta cooks, saute the sliced mushrooms in the Tablespoon of olive oil in a small skillet over medium low heat.
- Drain the pasta. Add the vegan buttery spread, non-dairy milk, and cheese, and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted.
- In a separate skillet, melt the 2 Tablespoons olive oil and the tablespoon of vegan buttery spread. Add the gluten free breadcrumbs and the garlic salt. Cook on medium low heat, stirring often. If you walk away, they will burn! Keep stirring until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Divide the cheesy orzo among four bowls. Top with the sauteed mushrooms and the buttered breadcrumbs.