This is pure comfort food! Ground beef in a creamy, dairy free sauce makes this dairy free beef stroganoff hard to beat. Serve it with your favorite gluten free pasta, rice, or even potatoes for a Sunday dinner to remember.
Whenever the weather cools down, that means it’s going to be time to start making comfort food again.
I have tons of comforting recipes to choose from – be sure to take a look at my page with comforting dairy free gluten free dinner recipes. I was thinking about some of the recipes my mom made when we were growing up, and her ground beef stroganoff came to mind.
It was such a comforting dish – she serve it over wide egg noodles, and it was delicious. Of course, back then, those types of recipes used lots of canned ingredients, like cream of mushroom soup.
I needed to do some thinking to come up with a version of ground beef stroganoff that’s free of the top allergens, but I was able to do it, and it’s delicious.
I hope you like this comforting dish as much as we do! This recipe makes about six servings, but you could double it if you are serving a crowd.
- Beef – I used 85% lean ground beef and it worked well. You can try this with ground turkey, ground bison, or even Beyond Meat if you prefer. I think any of those would be good choices. I also have a recipe for beef stroganoff that uses sirloin steak if you aren’t a fan of ground meat.
- Full Fat Coconut Milk – This ingredient adds a wonderful richness to the sauce. There is a very slight coconut flavor from the canned coconut milk. It’s not overpowering, because there are so many other things in this sauce – onions, garlic, mushrooms, etc. If you have a coconut allergy, you can use a different milk. If you can’t do coconut, use whatever non-dairy milk that works for your dietary needs. If you choose a thinner milk like rice milk, you may need to use a little more cornstarch to get the sauce to thicken up properly.
- Mushrooms – I used white button mushrooms, but feel free to use a different variety of mushrooms if you like.
- Onions – If you can’t have onions, you can leave them out and just use a little more garlic to add some extra flavor. You could also add some fresh herbs like chives or basil.
I haven’t tried freezing this – I think the texture of the sauce might change if you freeze it. If you decide to freeze it, I would recommend freezing it in individual portions.
Learn to make SAFE, tasty food for your family. Join my community today and start getting all my best tips, tricks, and allergy friendly recipes in your inbox.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Ground Beef Stroganoff.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms sliced thin
- 1.5 pounds ground round you could also use ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon tomato sauce
- 14 ounces full fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk I used So Delicious Refrigerated Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 12 ounces gluten free rotini cooked according to package directions
- While you are making the beef stroganoff, you can cook the pasta of your choice according to package directions. I used gluten free rotini.
- Place the olive oil, garlic, chopped onion, and mushrooms in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender- about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the ground round and the spices, and continue to cook until the beef is cooked through. This should take about 7-8 more minutes. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add the tablespoon of tomato sauce, the full fat coconut milk, and the ¾ cup of non-dairy milk. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Place the tablespoon of cornstarch and the 2 tablespoons of water in a small container with a lid and shake well. Drizzle it into the pan and stir. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, for a few minutes until the sauce thickens up. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve stroganoff over pasta and top with diced green peppers, sliced green onions, or parsley if desired.