A wild blueberry banana hemp smoothie is a beautiful and healthy way to start your morning! This smoothie is full of flavor, fiber, and potassium.
Disclosure: By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the Wild Blueberry Association of North America and I am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Smoothies – is there any better way to start the day?
I love to have a nice frosty smoothie in the morning. It’s a perfect way to get in a good dose of fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants. Smoothies are also an easy breakfast that I can make with one eye still closed while my four-year old loudly demands waffles and Daniel Tiger. ;)
One of my favorite ingredients for smoothie making is frozen wild blueberries.
What’s so special about wild blueberries?
First of all, they are delicious. Period. I have always made an effort to get frozen wild blueberries when I go to the store. Wild blueberries are smaller than regular blueberries, but they are full of intense blueberry flavor. Wild blueberries are genetically diverse which is what gives them a wonderfully delicious, sweet, tart flavor.
Wild blueberries are also rich in antioxidants, having twice the antioxidant capacity of regular blueberries. Research has shown these antioxidants have potential health benefits that extend to gut health, cancer, brain health, and diabetes.
Wild blueberries are truly wild…they are not planted, and grow naturally in Maine and Eastern Canada. 99% of the wild blueberry crop is quick frozen at harvest, which locks in the nutritional benefits and delicious flavor.
This wild blueberry banana hemp smoothie is a treat for the eyes and the taste buds. I’ve made two layers – one a rich purple that gets its color from a heaping helping of frozen wild blueberries, and the other a gorgeous pink that’s colored with raspberries and wild blueberries. Frozen bananas give this smoothie a creamy, frosty texture, while hemp seed hearts add healthy fats, iron, zinc, and magnesium. This is perfect for breakfast or a for a snack after working out.
Wild Blueberry Banana Hemp Smoothie.
For the pink layer:
- 1 banana cut into coins and frozen
- 2 Tablespoons Frozen Wild Blueberries
- ¾ cup frozen raspberries
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage or non-dairy milk of your choice like SO Delicious
For the purple layer:
- 1 banana cut into coins, and frozen
- ¾ cup Frozen Wild Blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon hemp seed hearts
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage or non-dairy milk of your choice
- frozen wild blueberries
- hemp seed hearts
- Place the ingredients for the pink layer in the blender. (If your blender is not very powerful, you may want to remove the fruit from the freezer to thaw for a few minutes before blending).
- Blend on high-speed until thick, smooth, and creamy. If needed, add a little more non-dairy milk (again, this will depend on how powerful your blender is). You do want this layer to be very thick so that it can support the second smoothie layer.
- Pour the pink layer into two glasses. Working quickly, rinse the blender pitcher, and add the ingredients for the purple layer.
- Blend on high-speed until thick, smooth, and creamy. Add a little more non-dairy milk if needed.
- Pour the purple layer into the glasses on top of the pink layer. Top with frozen wild blueberries and hemp seed hearts. Drink immediately.
Look for frozen wild blueberries in the frozen food aisle at the grocery store or health food store. Make sure the package says “wild” so you get all the wonderful wild blueberry benefits!