Fried corn cakes with cilantro avocado cream are the perfect appetizer or light dinner!
Uh oh, it’s Friday the 13th! Dun dun dun. Remember when you were little and that seemed like a big deal? Like the worst day ever to have a test, because it was so unlucky? :)
Anyway, moving on…have I told you that Baby Bee is my little carb king? He loooves his carbs – toast, pancakes, apple muffins, you name it. He eats a variety of other things, too, like beans, avocado, chicken, etc., but he really, REALLY loves bread. So the other day, when I decided to make these corn cakes, he was over the moon. And I can’t blame him, because they were very tasty! I had been thinking that we hadn’t had corn bread in a while, and there was no way I was turning the oven on, because it was hot and humid, so I decided to make these corn cakes. A surplus of avocados in the fridge turned into this creamy cilantro avocado dressing. We all really loved these, and Darryl and my six year old were huge fans of the dressing, and now want me to make it to put on top of everything. :)
The cutest part about Baby Bee’s new found love for corn cakes is the way he says, “More Cone Caykes, Mama!” So sweet.
Fried Corn Cakes with Cilantro Avocado Cream.
For the corn cakes:
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 3/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/2 cup white spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- olive oil and buttery spread for frying
For the dressing:
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 Tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place the vegan buttery spread and the frozen corn kernels in a large bowl and microwave on high for one minute.
Add the dry ingredients, and stir, then add the applesauce and non-dairy milk. Mix together, and add the chopped green onions, and stir again, set aside.
Make the dressing: Place the avocado, cilantro, garlic, mayonnaise, non-dairy milk, salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth, adding more milk if needed. Set aside.
- Heat about a Tablespoon of olive oil, and 1/2 Tablespoon of vegan buttery spread in a frying pan over medium heat.
- When the pan is hot, spoon the batter into the pan as you would when making pancakes.
- Cook until they are golden brown and crisp on the bottom, then flip and cook the other side. Once done cooking, place on a paper towel to drain.
- Serve hot with the cilantro avocado sauce on top.
Yum! I can’t wait to make these again later this summer with fresh corn from the Farmer’s Market!
And this dressing is kind of my new favorite thing, too…I think it would be so good on top of tacos or quesadillas! Or even as a dip for chips or veggies. This is going to be a summer staple around here, I think.
Have a wonderful Friday the 13th! I’m just going to hang out with the neighbor’s black cats and let them open umbrellas in my house. Or is that not a good idea for today? ;)