These rainbow roasted vegetables are both beautiful and delicious! A pan full of oven roasted veggies is just the thing to serve on a chilly autumn night.
One thing that I love about the cooler weather is the ability to use my oven more often. In the summer heat, it’s not too nice to crank the oven up to 425 or so to roast potatoes or vegetables. But once the temperatures drop, I’m all about roasting vegetables again.
The other day, I was looking at what vegetables I had on hand, and I realized that I could roast a rainbow of peppers, carrots, potatoes, zucchini, and shallots. This turned out to be a super delicious combination, so I thought I’d share it! And if you’re like me, and enjoy putting things in rainbow order, this dish will really appeal to you. :)
Ingredients for this pan of rainbow roasted vegetables:
- red peppers
- sweet potatoes
- Yukon gold potatoes
What other veggies could I use instead?
- Red: radishes, red carrots
- Orange: orange peppers, butternut squash
- Yellow: yellow peppers, yellow squash
- Green: green beans, green peppers, broccoli
- Purple: red onions, beets
My son was instantly intrigued when he saw me placing the ingredients on my baking sheet in rainbow order. This could be a fun way to get your children to eat more veggies! Have them help choose the ingredients and place them on the tray to make it even more fun.
Can I use a different oil for this recipe?
I think you could! I used olive oil, which worked very well and had a nice flavor. Any neutral oil should be okay, I think! You can read about roasting with different oils here.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Rainbow Roasted Vegetables.
- 2 red peppers cored and chopped into 1 inch squares
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced into coins
- 1 large sweet potato about 1 ½ cups - peeled and cut into small pieces
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes about 2 cups - peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini sliced into half moons
- 4 shallots peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper if desired. (You don't have to do this, but it does make clean up easier).
- Place the prepared vegetables on the baking sheet in rainbow order: red, orange, yellow, green, purple.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the veggies and add the seasonings. Gently toss each color section, being careful not to mix them up if you want to preserve the rainbow.
- Roast at 425 degrees for about 40 minutes, stirring gently every 15 minutes or so. If you use parchment paper, keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- Add more salt and pepper if desired before serving.