A healthy and delicious chia seed parfait that’s loaded with nutrients from blueberries, bananas, and blood oranges. This is a tasty way to start your morning! Naturally gluten free and dairy free.
I’ve mentioned before that breakfast can be a tough one over here. We can’t do eggs, and we can’t do nuts. Nuts aren’t a huge deal at breakfast time, but they do add a lot of extra protein and healthy fats to oatmeal or cereal or toast.
Sometimes we get in a bit of a rut…vegan pancakes, sausage, toast, steel cut oats, repeat. We do smoothies for breakfast too, but even those can become a little repetitive. I was feeling a little stuck this past week, so I decided that chia pudding would be a good idea. And then I thought I’d mix it up even more by making a chia seed pudding parfait.
This chia seed parfait is very easy to make, deliciously healthy, and it’s easy on the eyes, too. :)
If you haven’t made chia seed pudding before, it’s very simple to do. You’ll need to make it the night before – just throw the ingredients in a covered container and place in the refrigerator. In the morning, you’ll need to make the blueberry banana smoothie part of the parfait.
Then you’ll just layer the ingredients in two glasses, top with fresh fruit, and eat!
How do you make chia seed pudding?
- Place the chia seeds, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract in a glass bowl or jar.
- Cover the container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. I like to make it the night before I want to eat it.
- Stir the pudding well before eating to break up any clumps of seeds.
What type of chia seeds work best for chia pudding?
You can use either black or white chia seeds to make chia pudding.
How long can you store chia pudding?
Chia pudding will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. So you could make a big batch on Sunday night and have it for breakfast every day of the week.
Now what makes this a superfood parfait, you ask?
This chia seed parfait contains:
- Blueberries – full of antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C, and potassium, which all help protect your heart.
- Bananas – a great source of potassium to lower blood pressure and prevent stroke. They are also a wonderful energy source – a perfect snack before working out.
- Blood Oranges – as I mentioned on Monday, blood oranges have tons of antioxidants which can help prevent and fight cancer.
- Chia Seeds – these super seeds can increase energy, support healthy skin, and have a lot of protein to sustain you throughout your morning.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Superfood Chia Seed Parfait.
A healthy and beautiful chia seed parfait that's loaded with health benefits from superfoods.
For the pudding:
- 1 cup non-dairy milk I used coconut milk
- 5½ Tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
For the smoothie:
- 2 bananas sliced into coins and frozen
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ⅔ cup non-dairy milk more if needed
For the toppings:
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 blood orange peeled and sliced
- more chia seeds if desired
The night before you want to eat this, make the chia seed pudding. Place the non-dairy milk, chia seeds, maple syrup, and vanilla extract in a container and stir. Cover the container and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, take the frozen bananas and frozen blueberries and put them in the blender. Let them thaw for about 10 minutes. Add the non-dairy milk and blend. If it is too thick, add a little more non-dairy milk until it can be blended into a thick smoothie.
Layer the chia pudding and the smoothie in two glasses. Top with blueberries, blood oranges, and chia seeds. Enjoy immediately.
This layered parfait is best enjoyed immediately.
If you have leftover chia pudding, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Use any milk that works for your dietary needs.
This post was originally published in January 2016. It has been updated.
these chia seed pudding is looking so tempting.
thanks for sharing this recipe with us
Just made this after my morning workout add in some collagen & protein powder to turn for some added nutrition.
It was delicious, thanks for sharing this recipe
That looks delicious.
A very tasty, healthy option :-)
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice
Love the pretty color of this pudding! Sounds like a delicious breakfast!
Great! I can’t wait to get it ready! Thank you very much