Vegan lentil Sloppy Joes are savory, sweet, healthy, and so tasty! A perfect family friendly vegan dinner recipe.
Sloppy Joes are a favorite in this house. My grandma’s recipe for Sloppy Joes was something that we made often when I was growing up.
It was a traditional recipe that used ground beef, and it had a delicious sweet and tangy sauce that we loved.
I knew that it must be possible to make a vegan version of that classic recipe, so I got to work on it, and these vegan lentil Sloppy Joes were born.
The sauce is still deliciously sweet and tangy, and the base is made of green lentils, so these are full of healthy, plant-based protein.
Ideas for substitutions in this vegan Sloppy Joe recipe:
- If you don’t have green lentils, you could try French green lentils, or even yellow split peas.
- Chickpeas could also be used in this recipe – just partially mash them after cooking for a nicer texture.
- If you can’t do onion, you could leave it out, and try adding some chopped green peppers instead.
These lentil Sloppy Joes are very flavorful, and so filling. The lentils are packed with protein, so you don’t have to worry about being hungry after eating these!
Which brands of hamburger buns are gluten free?
Both Canon Bakehouse and Udi’s make gluten free hamburger buns, but they do contain egg, so they aren’t vegan. Schar makes gluten free buns that are egg free, but they do contain soy.
This recipe for gluten free vegan buns looks delicious, and it’s free of the top 8 allergens.
The pretzel buns that are pictured are not gluten free, but they are vegan, and Pretzilla is a nut free and sesame free company.
If you make these, please share on Instagram and tag me @prettybeeblog. I love to see your creations!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ¼ cup green lentils picked over and rinsed
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 hamburger buns
- ½ cup chopped onion optional, for topping
- Place the lentils in a pot with enough water to cover them by about 1.5 inches. Turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Place a lid on the pot and tilt it to vent out the steam.
- Cook until lentils are tender, about 25-30 minutes. Drain out any excess water from the pan.
- In a large pan, cook the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils to the onions, and stir. Add the remaining ingredients, and heat over medium low heat for about 15 minutes so the flavors can combine.
- Add more salt and pepper as desired.
- If desired, toast the buns. If you need a gluten free bun, you could check Schar brand, which is gluten free, but does contain soy.
- Top toasted buns with sloppy joe mixture and serve. Garnish with chopped onion if desired.
This recipe was originally published in May of 2014. It has been updated with an improved recipe and new photos.