This fresh and colorful wild rice and orzo salad is perfect for summertime gatherings. Finely chopped vegetables, herbs, wild rice, pasta, and a flavorful dressing combine to make this delicious salad.
This wild rice orzo salad is full of fun colors and textures. Lots of chopped peppers, red onion, corn, pasta, wild rice, and herbs make a salad that’s beautiful to look at and fun to eat.
- Gluten Free Orzo – Both DeLallo and Jovial make gluten free orzo. You could also use a different pasta shape if you like. If you aren’t gluten free, you can use regular orzo.
- Wild Rice Blend – I used Lundberg Wild Rice Blend. I like the combination of rice in this blend. If you can’t have rice, you could use more pasta or quinoa instead.
- Pumpkin Seeds – Super Seedz pumpkin seeds are made in a nut free facility. You could also use sunflower seeds or nuts if you like.
- If you don’t want to use rice, you could use quinoa, millet, or more pasta instead.
- Feel free to try different vegetables if you like! Shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes, peas, or green onions would all work well in this recipe.
- If you don’t want to use vinegar, use an equal amount of lemon juice instead.
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook the wild rice blend according to package directions. Cook the gluten free orzo in a separate pot according to package directions. Allow both to cool, and then place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix up the dressing and set aside.
- Add the chopped onions, peppers, corn, parsley, seeds, and cranberries to the bowl with the grains.
- Add the dressing and toss to coat.
Learn to make SAFE, tasty food for your family. Join my community today and start getting all my best tips, tricks, and allergy friendly recipes in your inbox.
Store leftover salad in the refrigerator. If you’d like to make this the night before serving, just keep the dressing separate from the salad. Add the dressing to the bowl right before serving.
Serve this salad as a light dinner or lunch, or as a side dish with any of the following recipes:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten Free Wild Rice and Orzo Salad.
For the Dressing:
For the Salad:
- 1 ½ cups wild rice blend
- 1 cup gluten free orzo DeLallo and Jovial both make gluten free orzo
- 2 cups sweet peppers finely chopped – use a variety of colors – red, orange, yellow, green
- ⅓ cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- ½ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- Cook the wild rice blend according to package directions. While it cooks, in a separate pot, cook the gluten free orzo according to package directions.
- Once the pasta is done cooking, drain it and put it in a large bowl. Add the wild rice blend to the bowl as well. Set aside to cool.
- While the pasta and rice are cooling, make the dressing. In a small bowl, combine the basil, parsley, oregano, sugar, garlic, salt, pepper, vinegar, and olive oil. Whisk well with a fork.
- Add the chopped peppers, onions, corn, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and parsley to the large bowl with the pasta and rice.
- Pour the dressing over the other ingredients. Use two spoons to toss the ingredients together, making sure the dressing is evenly distributed.
- Serve right away, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Adapted from this recipe.