Cherry mania is going on full force over here these days…I can’t stop buying them! My favorite thing to do right now is to pit them, and then freeze them to use in smoothies.
Did you know that cherry pits actually contain cyanide? And that the cyanide isn’t released unless the pit is crushed?
Well, about that…the other day I was merrily drinking a smoothie that I had made and I sucked up some pieces of pit through my straw. I guess a pit or two remained inside the cherries I had pitted, and my blender was strong enough to grind them up. I actually wound up calling poison control (Over a smoothie! Lol! Right?) and found out that the amount of cherry pit pieces was not enough to cause any harm. But they did tell me to throw the smoothie out. So always make sure you double-check for pits!
I love including sweet cherries in my smoothies because they have been shown to help with sleep, as they contain melatonin, and they also can help reduce inflammation. Mangoes are great for strengthening your immune system as they are high in vitamins A and C, and they are also full of antioxidants that help prevent cancer.
Cherries + mangoes = one healthy and delicious smoothie! Of course you can just blend everything up together if you wish, I just separated it because it looks prettier.
- 1 cup frozen sweet cherries
- ½ - ¾ cup water
- 1 cup frozen mango
- ¾ cup water
- Place the cherries and mangoes in two separate bowls and let them sit to thaw for about ten minutes.
- Blend the cherries first: place the cherries and a ½ cup water in the blender and blend on high until smooth. Add the other ¼ cup water if it seems too thick. Pour into a glass.
- Rinse the blender pitcher and add the mango and the water. Blend on high until smooth. Add more water if needed. Pour into the glass on top of the cherry layer.
Have you ever had to call poison control over a recipe?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Testing 3 Different Gluten Free Flour Brands in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. - September 26, 2016
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016