A tall glass of homemade strawberry lemonade is just the thing to quench your thirst on a hot day! Find out how to make this delicious summer drink for your next summer barbecue!
There are some things that just scream summer – ice cream, barbecues, homemade salsa, and of course, a tall glass of lemonade. Now that strawberry season is here, I thought it was high time I shared a recipe for strawberry lemonade.
If you are used to making lemonade from scratch, you won’t find this recipe too different. You simply add some strawberry juice to a classic lemonade recipe, and that’s it! It adds a beautiful pink hue to this summery drink, and adds a delicious berry flavor.
The secret to amazing homemade strawberry lemonade is simple syrup.
Simple syrup is just sugar and water heated on the stove until the sugar dissolves. It only takes a few minutes to make, and it sweetens the lemonade without making it grainy. If you wanted to skip the simple syrup, you could, but just know that there will likely be some grains of sugar that will sink to the bottom of the pitcher.
I think the best result happens with simple syrup – it blends well with the fruit juices.
To make the berry juice, you will need to blend the berries in a blender with a little water until smooth. Then you will press the berry puree through a fine mesh sieve to remove all the seeds. Don’t skip this step! No one wants a bunch of seeds in their drink.
- You can try this lemonade with a different type of berry if you like. You can easily use blueberries, raspberries, or even blackberries.
- If you’d like to make limeade, just use an equal amount of lime juice instead of lemon juice. We love limeade at our house.
- If you prefer drinks that are less sweet, try pouring a half glass of strawberry lemonade and topping it off with sparkling water. This is delicious and so refreshing with the addition of lemon sparkling water or cran-raspberry La Croix.
- Use a citrus juicer to juice the lemons. To make sure you get all the juice you can from the lemons, I recommend rolling the whole lemons firmly on the countertop to loosen the juice. Just press your palm on the lemon, and roll.
- A blender is needed to blend the strawberries into a puree.
- You will also need a fine mesh sieve to strain the berry puree so that there aren’t any seeds in your drink.
Learn to make SAFE, tasty food for your family. Join my community today and start getting all my best tips, tricks, and allergy friendly recipes in your inbox.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Refreshing Homemade Strawberry Lemonade.
- 1 cup lemon juice about 6- 8 lemons, depending on size
- 12 strawberries for about ¾ cup juice
- 3 cups water
For the simple syrup:
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- To make the simple syrup, place the ¾ cup water and ¾ cup sugar in a small pan. Heat over medium low heat, stirring often, until the sugar is dissolved. You don't want the syrup to boil. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove the caps from the strawberries and place in a blender, along with a couple tablespoons of water to help them blend easily. Blend until smooth.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a bowl, and pour the strawberry puree into it. Use the back of the spoon to press all the juice out, leaving the seeds behind in the sieve.