For a long time, I was not a huge squash fan. Squash is okay…and there are some squash recipes that I really like, but I just was not in love with it. I wasn’t filling my grocery cart with piles of squash, you know?
Then I found out about delicata squash, and I fell in love.
Delicata squash has such a mild and sweet flavor that it’s hard not to love it. It bakes up pretty quickly and is perfect for stuffing with all kinds of fillings. You can even eat the skin if you want to – it’s quite thin and is tender after cooking.
It’s the only squash that I enjoy eating roasted with butter and salt and pepper. Other varieties of squash are just too “squashy” tasting for me. If you don’t love the taste of some of the stronger squashes, you might want to try the delicata variety and see what you think.
We like to stuff it with seasoned ground turkey or beef. I also love it stuffed with a mixture of quinoa and beans. The small size is perfect for individual portions, and since the flesh is thinner, it doesn’t take very long to roast.
- 2 delicata squash
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Slice each squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle about a teaspoon of olive oil in each half, then season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- While the squash cooks, prepare the filling. In a skillet, cook the onion and ground turkey or beef over medium heat. Cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Drain off any oil, then add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Cook on low for a few minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Once the squash is tender, remove from the oven and spoon the stuffing into each half. Return to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Are you a squash fan? What’s your favorite variety?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookie Bars. - February 13, 2017
- Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes (Gluten Free, Vegan). - February 9, 2017
- Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce. - February 6, 2017