A loaf of warm vegan zucchini bread with melty chocolate chips makes a wonderful summer breakfast!
It was so nice here yesterday – just perfect summer weather. Not too hot, bright blue sky, breezy…a perfect beach day. We packed up the car and headed to Lake Huron and had a lovely time relaxing on the beach. It was so nice! Then we came home and Darryl realized that he hadn’t checked the garden in two days, so he went out and came back with a full basket of tomatoes and zucchini. And that reminded me that I hadn’t shared this recipe yet!
This vegan chocolate chip zucchini bread has been made a few times over here now – it’s a favorite! I love it warm from the oven with the chocolate still melty. It’s so delicious – a perfect snack or breakfast.
This is a healthier loaf for sure – I used whole grain spelt flour, and kept it refined sugar free (except for the chocolate chips). This recipe should work with gluten free flour as well – I would recommend a lighter weight gluten free flour like King Arthur Multi-Purpose Flour.
If you’re looking for a gluten free zucchini cake, be sure to check out this recipe! I love the spice cake with the creamy frosting – it’s one of our favorites!
- ¾ cup shredded zucchini, squeezed to remove excess water
- ¼ cup coconut oil, measured solid, then melted
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ cup whole spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dairy free mini chocolate chips, plus a few more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over on both sides.
- Put the shredded zucchini, coconut oil, applesauce, and water in a bowl and stir together.
- Add the coconut sugar, maple syrup, water, and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add the spelt flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and stir well.
- Stir in the dairy free chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle a few more dairy free chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.