Use your summer harvest to make this amazing creamy zucchini casserole! This is the tastiest way to enjoy zucchini – in a flavorful dairy free sauce topped with crispy garlic breadcrumbs.
We’re heading into zucchini season soon! Did you know that there is actually a holiday called, “National Sneak Some Zucchini on Your Neighbor’s Porch Day?”
It’s true! If you want to celebrate, it’s on August 8. For anyone who’s grown zucchini in their garden, you know that there comes a point in the summer when you just can’t pick them and eat them fast enough!
July and August are a good time to make all the zucchini recipes – like this lemon pasta, gluten free ratatouille, or the best vegan zucchini muffins. You also need to try this delicious dairy free zucchini casserole.
Tender zucchini are sauteed with onions, then covered with a delicious, cheesy, dairy free sauce. Then you top the whole dish with crunchy gluten free breadcrumbs, and you have a winning recipe! This is a great way to get kids to eat and enjoy zucchini.
This casserole is the perfect side dish to serve alongside gluten free meatloaf or this easy shrimp and tomato pasta. You could also round out this meal with simple grilled chicken breasts and baked potatoes.
Can I use a different vegetable in this dish?
I think zucchini works best here, but you could try this with cauliflower or a variety of veggies like mushrooms, potatoes, and peas.
Where can I find gluten free breadcrumbs?
I prefer to make my own gluten free breadcrumbs. It’s easy to do, and it’s a great way to use up the ends of loaves of bread.
You can find gluten free breadcrumbs in the store – but be sure to read the labels – breadcrumbs can contain other allergens like dairy, tree nuts, soy, or sesame.
Can I make this ahead of time?
If you make this casserole ahead of time, I would recommend just making the zucchini portion first. Refrigerate it overnight, then make the breadcrumbs and top the casserole with them when you reheat it the next day. That way the breadcrumbs won’t get soggy.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Creamy Zucchini Casserole (Vegan, Gluten Free).
- 1 cup sweet onion finely chopped
- ½ cup vegan buttery spread
- 3 Tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- 1 ½ cups non-dairy milk I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 4 ounces vegan mozzarella cheese shreds I used Daiya mozzarella shreds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups zucchini sliced
- 2 cups gluten free garlic breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the chopped sweet onion and vegan buttery spread in a pot, and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, and cook for about 5 minutes until it is crisp-tender, and looks bright green.
- Add the gluten free flour, and stir for a minute. Add the non-dairy milk, vegan cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and continue to stir for a few minutes until the sauce thickens. Don't bring to a boil.
- Pour the mixture into a casserole dish, and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- If you are making your own bread crumbs, you can make them while the casserole is in the oven.
- Top the casserole with bread crumbs and bake for another 15 minutes. Enjoy!