A simple recipe for gluten free apple spice cake. This cake is just the thing for a chilly fall morning!
I just had to share this recipe for apple spice cake with you all. I had to share it right away, before the weekend hit, in case any of you wake up on a crisp Saturday morning and think, “Hmm…this feels like a fall baking day. I just wish my house smelled like cinnamon and nutmeg this morning!”
If you wake up tomorrow and feel that way, this is your recipe.
This cake is so easy to make – just one bowl, and you don’t need a mixer. The ingredients are simple and straightforward, and the apple spice flavor is so delicious for dessert or even a weekend breakfast. The ease of this recipe makes it perfect for last minute entertaining! Need an allergy friendly dessert for a party? Whip this up in a hurry.
I used King Arthur Multi Purpose Gluten Free Flour, but you can use regular flour, or another gluten free flour blend that suits your needs. Try to use a light blend like King Arthur or Bob’s Red Mill if that works for you, so that the cake stays light and not too dense.
I suspect that this gluten free apple spice cake recipe would work well as muffins, too, although I haven’t tried it that way yet. If you do decide to go that route, be sure to reduce the baking time significantly, and keep an eye on them. I would start with 15 minutes or so and then watch them if they aren’t done at that point.
- 2 cups King Arthur Multi Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend (can use all purpose flour or another gluten free flour blend)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar (brown sugar is okay)
- ⅓ cup organic canola oil
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- one apple, peeled and shredded (about ¾ cup)*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ⅜ cup water
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the shredded apple, unsweetened applesauce, organic canola oil, water, vanilla extract, and vinegar. Stir well.
- Add the sugars and stir to combine. Add the gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix well.
- Pour batter in an 8x8 square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 28-32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely, then dust with powdered sugar. Store leftover cake in an airtight container.
I hope you love this apple spice cake as much as my family does! Is there anything better than the smell of spice cake throughout the house?