A quick and easy lunch or dinner…barbecue chicken quesadillas are crispy, melty, and delicious! This is a simple dish that your family will love. Serve with a green salad for an easy weeknight meal.
When your week is super busy, it can be tough to get a good dinner on the table. And if you’re dealing with food allergies, you probably don’t have a lot of safe takeout options.
I love to make chicken quesadillas on those busy nights. Actually, any type of quesadilla is a hit over here! We love these sweet potato bean quesadillas, as well as this roasted red pepper variety. The nice thing about these easy recipes is that you can customize them to fit your dietary needs.
You can use any kind of cheese that works for you. Our favorite allergy friendly dairy free cheese is the Daiya cheese blocks. For this recipe, we enjoy the Smoked Gouda flavor.
I know that some of you wonder about the dairy free cheeses out there, and the Daiya Smoked Gouda block is what makes these quesadillas extra special. Seriously, it tastes exactly like real cheese. It’s ridiculous. If you can’t eat dairy, you need to run out and find this cheese ASAP.
You could use any flavor your family likes. If you can eat dairy, use your favorite dairy cheese. You just need a nice, melty cheese to hold these quesadillas together.
Where can I find gluten free tortillas?
There are many brands of gluten free tortillas. You will need to call the company to verify that a product is safe for your dietary needs. Some brands to look into are: B Free, Rudi’s, or Mission tortillas. If you would like to make your own, this recipe for gluten free vegan tortillas looks good.
What brands of barbecue sauce are allergy friendly?
I haven’t found a brand of barbecue sauce that works for our family’s needs, so I like to make my own homemade sauce. If you have a store bought sauce that you like, feel free to use that.
This is a super easy recipe – in fact, it’s so easy I almost didn’t share it. But I think we all can use a super simple recipe now and then. Especially one that’s kid friendly!
To complete this meal, try serving these quesadillas with:
Feel free to add some extra veggies or a different meat to this recipe if you like! You can be creative and make these exactly the way your family likes them.
I love to make quesadillas for an easy dinner – the turkey spinach recipe below is an easy variation:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Barbecue Chicken Quesadillas (Gluten Free).
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cooked shredded
- ⅔ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped
- 8 ounces vegan cheese I used Daiya Smoked Gouda Block, sliced thin
- 4 gluten free tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- Place some vegan buttery spread in the pan for frying, and heat over medium heat.
- Place the shredded chicken and barbecue sauce in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Once the frying pan is hot, place a tortilla in it. Place some sliced cheese on one half of the tortilla.
- Add the barbecue chicken and some red onion, then layer on some more cheese.
- Fold over the tortilla.
- Cook on one side until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip over and finish cooking on the other side.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve with guacamole or salsa.
This post was originally published in May 2016. It has been updated.