This creamy cauliflower casserole is a cozy and comforting gluten free and vegan side dish that everyone will enjoy. A crunchy breadcrumb topping is a delicious contrast to the flavorful sauce.
But I thought it would be nice to dress it up a little bit for the holidays – cook it in a creamy sauce, similar to scalloped potatoes, and top it with delicious buttery breadcrumbs. This creamy cauliflower casserole is easy to make, and special enough for any holiday meal.
If you happen to have a nightshade allergy or sensitivity, potatoes are off limits for you, and cauliflower can be a good substitution. You can easily make mashed cauliflower, but if you want to take it up a notch, try this vegan cauliflower casserole. Your guests will thank you!
Should I use fresh or frozen cauliflower in this cauliflower casserole?
You can use either! Fresh or frozen cauliflower will work well in this recipe.
What type of gluten free flour should I use to thicken the sauce?
You should be able to use whatever brand of gluten free flour that works for your dietary needs. I used Namaste Perfect Flour Blend. If you don’t have a blend that works, you could also try tapioca starch.
What kind of dairy free milk should I use to make a cream sauce?
Any neutral tasting dairy free milk should work well. I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk in this recipe. You could use soy milk or almond milk if those work for you. Flax milk or rice milk are also options.
How to make vegan creamy cauliflower casserole:
- Cook chopped onion in vegan buttery spread until tender. Stir in the gluten free flour blend.
- Add half of the dairy free milk and stir. Add the spices and continue stirring, then add the remainder of the milk. Cook over medium high heat until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and bake at 350 degrees for about 90 minutes.
- Add the gluten free breadcrumbs for the last 20 minutes of the baking time.
What brand of gluten free breadcrumbs should I use?
If you have a brand of gluten free breadcrumbs that works for your diet, go ahead and use that. Otherwise, I recommend making your own breadcrumbs from gluten free bread. You can look into brands like Schar, Canyon Bakehouse, or BFree to see if you can find a bread that works for you.
Can I make gluten free breadcrumbs ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the breadcrumbs the day before making this casserole. You could even make a large batch of breadcrumbs and then store them in the freezer so you have them when you need them.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Creamy Cauliflower Casserole (Vegan, Gluten Free).
Cauliflower casserole is a delicious vegan side dish to try this season! A creamy sauce and crunchy bread crumbs make this dish extra special!
- 1/4 cup vegan buttery spread
- 3/4 cup sweet onion chopped
- 3 Tablespoons gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups non-dairy milk I used So Delicious unsweetened refrigerated coconut milk
- 4 cups cauliflower florets One large head of cauliflower should yield about 4 cups of florets.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free garlic bread crumbs You can use a store bought brand if you wish, or make your own.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Put the vegan buttery spread and the chopped sweet onion in a pot and cook over medium heat. Stir often, cooking until the onion is tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Stir in the gluten free flour blend. Add half of the dairy free milk and stir well. Add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder and continue to stir.
Add the rest of the milk and turn the heat to medium high. Stir constantly for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Place the chopped cauliflower in a casserole dish. Pour the sauce over the top.
- Cover the dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and continue to bake for one hour.
20 minutes before the baking time ends, sprinkle the garlic bread crumbs on top. Continue to bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.
If you'd like to make your own gluten free garlic bread crumbs, you can use my recipe.
If you have a brand of bread crumbs that you like, you can go ahead and use those.
Store leftover casserole in the refrigerator - it should stay fresh for up to 4 days.