A comforting bowl of chicken soup is always welcome on a chilly day. This hearty soup has all the flavors of chicken pot pie, but none of the dairy or gluten. It’s creamy and delicious, and it’s the perfect easy lunch or dinner.
Chicken pot pie…it’s such a delicious, comforting recipe. But if you can’t have dairy or gluten, the usual version is off limits for you.
We love creamy, cozy meals around here, and I decided that I needed to figure out a way to recreate something similar to chicken pot pie.
- Chicken – I recommend using cooked chicken in this recipe to save time. You could use chicken that you boiled or baked ahead of time, or even canned chicken. If you would rather use raw chicken, just add it to the soup pot at the beginning of the recipe and make sure it’s cooked through before you serve the soup.
- Peas and Carrots – I used frozen peas and carrots in this soup. You could use canned peas and carrots if you prefer, or you could even slice fresh carrots instead.
- Broth – Use the brand of chicken broth that works for your dietary needs. You could also use homemade chicken broth.
- Non-Dairy Milk – I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk, because it has a neutral taste. Use a neutral-tasting non-dairy milk that works for your particular dietary needs.
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook the chopped onion in the olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and broth, and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender, then add the cooked chicken breast.
- Add the peas and spices, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cup of non-dairy milk.
- Make the corn starch and non-dairy milk mixture, and drizzle it into the soup. Simmer for a couple of minutes to thicken the soup. Serve with crackers or toast.
- If you’re making this after the holidays, you can use turkey instead of chicken.
- Feel free to use different veggies if you like. You can add green beans, corn, or sweet potatoes to this soup.
- Gluten free garlic bread crumbs on top of this soup would be a good substitute for the traditional pot pie crust.
- If you prefer to make this without meat, you can add some white beans instead of chicken, and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- If you can’t use corn starch, you can use potato starch or gluten free flour as a thickener instead.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie Soup.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen carrots
- 1 ½ cups Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 Tablespoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- ½ Tablespoon corn starch or potato starch
- Put the olive oil in a large pot and add the chopped onion. Saute over medium heat until soft, about five minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and broth, then bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about fifteen minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the peas, cooked chicken, dill, salt, and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes. Once everything is heated through. stir in the cup of non-dairy milk.
- Put the 3 Tablespoons of non-dairy milk and the corn starch in a small cup and whisk it together. Drizzle the mixture into the soup pot, stirring constantly.
- Simmer for a minute or two to allow the soup to thicken. Serve with gluten free crackers or corn muffins.