Slow cooker wild rice sausage soup is the perfect gluten free recipe to warm up with this winter. It’s hearty, flavorful, and so delicious! Your family will love this soup with a side of gluten free crackers or bread.
These cold weather days have us craving soup over here. And if it’s a soup that I can throw in the slow cooker, even better! I love to have dinner going without much effort on my part. We often eat slow cooker meals like this lamb soup and this lentil curry – they’re so delicious!
This wild rice sausage soup is very warming, filling, and so easy to make. All you have to do is chop a few vegetables and throw all the ingredients into your slow cooker. It really couldn’t be any easier.
- Wild Rice – I love to use wild rice in slow cooker recipes because it’s a variety of rice that takes a bit longer to cook on the stove top. But the crockpot takes a long time anyways, with lots of simmering, and wild rice always comes out perfectly – not too mushy, and not under cooked.
- Chicken Sausage – Use a brand of chicken or pork sausage that works for your dietary needs.
- Dairy Free Cheese – Adding some diced dairy free cheese gives this soup a wonderful creaminess. You can leave it out if you wish! I used Dairy Jalapeno Havarti, and I liked the addition of a little spiciness.
- Non-Dairy Milk – A neutral tasting non-dairy milk will work best in this recipe. Rice milk, oat milk, soy milk, or flax milk could all work well.
There’s a lot of room for substitutions in this recipe. You can adjust this soup to your dietary needs or to your family’s tastes.
- Use your favorite vegan sausage instead of chicken sausage
- Use leeks instead of onions
- Try quinoa instead of rice
- Leave out the dairy free cheese if you like, or use dairy cheese if you can have that
- Try kale instead of spinach
I have not tried that, but this article has some great tips about how to convert recipes so that they can be made in a pressure cooker.
If you need to leave the onion out, that’s okay! Just try adding some fresh herbs instead towards the end of the cooking time to boost the flavor. Try chives, basil, or cilantro.
You’re not in this alone! 🤍 Join my food allergy community and get the newest recipes, tips, and tricks for food allergy families. You can still eat delicious food, even with allergies and intolerances.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Wild Rice Sausage Soup.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 4 chicken sausages or any sausage that fits your dietary needs
- 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 4 ounces dairy free cheese I used Daiya Jalapeno Havarti that I cut into cubes
- Place the olive oil, chopped vegetables, wild rice blend, broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a six quart slow cooker.
- Slice the sausages into coins, and then slice each coin in half. Add to the slow cooker.
- Put the cover on the slow cooker and set the heat to low. Let the soup cook on low heat for six hours.
- After six hours, add the non dairy milk, frozen chopped spinach, and dairy free cheese. Stir well, then cover and let cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with crackers or a green salad.