Melty dark chocolate, toasted marshmallows, a graham cracker crust…these s’mores bars have it all! Plus they are gluten free and allergy friendly.
Since I shared recipes for two summer favorites this week (lemonade and popsicles), I thought I’d go ahead and share another classic summer recipe. S’mores…but not your normal s’mores, these are s’mores bars.
S’mores are always a fun treat in the summer, aren’t they? And since they’re so well-loved in our family, I decided to make a bar version when it was the 4th of July, as a special dessert. These s’mores bars were a big hit! My older son kept saying that this was “the best dessert ever.” Darryl was also a big fan of these gooey, melty treats.
You can make these to suit your dietary needs. There are vegan graham crackers (I believe Nabisco Grahams are vegan), and gluten free graham crackers, and allergy friendly and vegan marshmallows, too. Just use whatever brands work for you.
I preferred eating these right away, while they were still warm from the oven. Darryl liked these more the longer they sat – he liked the chewiness of the marshmallow layer as it cooled. No matter when you eat these, they will be a big hit!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, gluten free flour blend, buttery spread, and sugar in a food processor and pulse until a dough forms.
- Press the crust into the pan, and bake at 350 degrees for about 15-18 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and raise the heat to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crust, and then do the same with the marshmallows.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes, until the chocolate is melted and the marshmallows are golden brown.
- Let cool somewhat before slicing.
You can use gluten free graham crackers, like Kinnikinnick brand, or vegan graham crackers, or any brand that suits your needs. Enjoy Life makes a Honey Graham crunchy cookie that would also work.
If you don't have special dietary needs, go ahead and use dairy butter, regular flour, dairy chocolate chips, etc.
These gluten free s’mores bars are just right for:
- a picnic
- making on a rainy day
- sharing at a potluck
Another summery treat you may like to try are these decadent sunbutter ice cream bars.