No need for a campfire to enjoy the taste of s’mores! Melty dark chocolate, toasted marshmallows, a graham cracker crust…these s’mores bars have it all! Plus they are gluten free and allergy friendly.
What do you think of when you think of summer? What foods do you look forward to enjoying in the warmer months?
We enjoy traditional s’mores made around the campfire, and we also enjoy making s’mores ice cream pie, and also these gooey, chocolatey bars.
Since this classic is so well-loved in our family, I decided to make a bar version when it was the 4th of July, as a special dessert. These s’mores bars were a big hit! My older son kept saying that this was “the best dessert ever.” Darryl was also a big fan of these gooey, melty treats.
- Graham Crackers – There are vegan graham crackers (I believe Nabisco Grahams are vegan), and gluten free graham crackers like S’moreables from Kinnikinnick. You could also use cookie crumbs, like Kinnikinnick K-Toos, Enjoy Life Crunchy Cookies, or a different variety that you like.
- Marshmallows – There are allergy friendly and vegan marshmallows, too. Just use whatever brands work for you.
- Chocolate – We like Enjoy Life chocolate chips or bars as well as PASCHA chocolate chips. Any chocolate bar that works for your family is perfect.
- Vegan Buttery Spread – I prefer Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Spread. You should be able to use any dairy free butter that works for your dietary needs.
- If you can’t find graham crackers that suit your needs, try using Enjoy Life Crunchy Cookie crumbs. They have several varieties that would work well for this recipe.
- Feel free to add a few white chocolate chips if you want some variety.
- If you don’t want to make this in a large pan, you could make these in a muffin tin for individual servings.
Tips for Success
- Line your pan with parchment paper – this will make it easier to remove the bars from the pan.
- Don’t try to use the broiler to melt the marshmallows. This may result in a fire or burned, charred marshmallows.
- Mini marshmallows are the best for melting evenly. If you only have large marshmallows, I recommend cutting them into small pieces and sprinkling them over the chocolate chips.
I preferred eating these right away, while they were still warm from the oven. Darryl liked these more the longer they sat – he liked the chewiness of the marshmallow layer as it cooled. No matter when you eat these, they will be a big hit!
More Gluten Free Dairy Free Desserts
- Sunbutter Chocolate Ice Cream Bars
- Gluten Free Zucchini Brownies
- Berry Tea Popsicles
- Gluten Free Vegan Brookies
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, gluten free flour blend, buttery spread, and sugar in a food processor and pulse until a dough forms.
- Press the crust into the pan, and bake at 350 degrees F for about 15-18 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and raise the heat to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crust, and then do the same with the marshmallows.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 5-7 minutes, until the chocolate is melted and the marshmallows are golden brown.
- Let cool somewhat before slicing.