These vegan stuffed mushrooms are filled with potatoes and spinach and topped with crunchy, buttery breadcrumbs.
The other day I was really in the mood for stuffed mushrooms. Darryl used to make the best stuffed mushrooms…they were loaded with lots of cheese and other unhealthy things. But now that I am dairy and egg free, those cheesy mushrooms aren’t an option.
I really hadn’t attempted to make stuffed mushrooms since I changed my diet, because I felt like I couldn’t make a decent replacement for Darryl’s original creation. But I improvised, and I’m happy with the result!
I filled these with a creamy mashed potato and spinach mixture and then topped them with buttery breadcrumbs. The result was a very flavorful appetizer that would be perfect for your next party!
- 12 white button mushrooms…cleaned and stems removed
- 1 cup mashed potatoes…we make ours with yukon golds and unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- ½ cup gluten free bread crumbs, I made mine in the oven with leftover bread, or you can purchase them
- 2 Tablespoons melted vegan buttery spread
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put your mushroom caps on a foil lined cookie sheet for easy cleanup.
- Mix the mashed potatoes with the spinach and spoon into the mushroom caps.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the melted buttery spread, garlic salt and pepper and pile on top of each mushroom.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them so the breadcrumbs don’t get too brown.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy! I didn’t know if I would miss the cheese in these, but the mashed potatoes had the creamy quality that I was looking for. You could add some dairy free cheese to the mashed potatoes if you wanted that cheesy quality.
What do you stuff mushrooms with?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Testing 3 Different Gluten Free Flour Brands in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. - September 26, 2016
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016