These vegan stuffed mushrooms are filled with potatoes and spinach and topped with crunchy, buttery breadcrumbs.
The other day I was really in the mood for stuffed mushrooms. Darryl used to make the best stuffed mushrooms…they were loaded with lots of cheese and other unhealthy things. But now that I am dairy and egg free, those cheesy mushrooms aren’t an option.
I really hadn’t attempted to make stuffed mushrooms since I changed my diet, because I felt like I couldn’t make a decent replacement for Darryl’s original creation. But I improvised, and I’m happy with the result! These vegan stuffed mushrooms are delicious.
I filled these with a creamy mashed potato and spinach mixture and then topped them with buttery breadcrumbs. The result was a very flavorful appetizer that would be perfect for your next party!
Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms.
- 12 white button mushrooms cleaned and stems removed
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs I made mine in the oven with leftover bread, or you can purchase them
- 2 Tablespoons melted vegan buttery spread
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put your mushroom caps on a foil lined cookie sheet for easy cleanup.
- Mix the mashed potatoes with the spinach and spoon into the mushroom caps.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the melted buttery spread, garlic salt and pepper and pile on top of each mushroom.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them so the breadcrumbs don’t get too brown.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy! I didn’t know if I would miss the cheese in these, but the mashed potatoes had the creamy quality that I was looking for. You could add some dairy free cheese to the mashed potatoes if you wanted that cheesy quality.
What do you stuff mushrooms with?