These delicious vegan stuffed mushrooms are both filling and flavorful. Enjoy these as an appetizer or make a meal out of them! The crunchy buttered breadcrumbs on top make these irresistible.
Stuffed mushrooms were one of our favorite appetizers before we eliminated dairy from our diet.
We loved to stuff mushroom caps with cream cheese, cheddar, and other dairy ingredients. They were savory and decadent, and we missed them once we stopped eating cheese.
It took me a long time to try to create an allergy friendly version of stuffed mushrooms. I just wasn’t sure how to recreate the decadence of my favorite recipe.
But I improvised, and we are in love with the result! These vegan stuffed mushrooms are absolutely delicious.
Mashed potatoes are the perfect creamy, buttery filling, and spinach adds some lovely color. The fried, crunchy breadcrumbs on top are so tasty – I could eat them by the spoonful.
Stuffed mushrooms are a great appetizer for a birthday party or even for a holiday meal. These take just a few minutes to make, and they are super flavorful.
You could make a delicious holiday appetizer table with these mushrooms, this red pepper bean dip, and a creamy vegan spinach dip. All three of these recipes are simple to make and full of flavor. Your guests won’t miss the dairy, gluten, or other allergens!
- white button mushrooms
- mashed potatoes
- chopped spinach
- melted vegan buttery spread
- salt and pepper
- Try Baby Bella mushrooms instead of button mushrooms.
- Try kale instead of spinach.
- Add some scallions or fresh herbs to the mashed potatoes.
- You could use mashed sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes.
How to make vegan stuffed mushrooms
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms, and place on a cookie sheet.
- Fill each mushroom cap with the mashed potato and spinach mixture.
- Make the buttered breadcrumbs.
- Top each mushroom with buttered breadcrumbs and bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
Everyone who tries these loves them! These mushrooms are a very flavorful appetizer that would be perfect for your next party!
If you aren’t gluten free, feel free to use regular bread or bread crumbs. There are many different brands of allergy friendly bread, and most of them should work well for making homemade breadcrumbs.
More vegan appetizer recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms with Spinach and Breadcrumbs.
These savory, delicious, vegan stuffed mushrooms are the perfect appetizer to make for your guests. The creamy filling and crispy topping are perfect together.
- 12 white button mushrooms cleaned and stems removed
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- ½ cup frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- ½ cup gluten free breadcrumbs I made mine in the oven with leftover bread, or you can purchase them
- 2 Tablespoons melted vegan buttery spread
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put your mushroom caps on a foil lined cookie sheet for easy cleanup.
Mix the mashed potatoes with the spinach and spoon into the mushroom caps.
Mix the breadcrumbs with the melted buttery spread, garlic salt and pepper and pile on top of each mushroom.
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them so the breadcrumbs don’t get too brown.
To make your own breadcrumbs, dry out a couple of slices of bread, then process in the food processor to make crumbs.
You can also make a big batch of garlic breadcrumbs from scratch.
These are best eaten immediately, but if you have leftovers, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for about 3 days.