Hello hello! How was your weekend? What did you do?
I had a huge craving for macaroni salad, so I made this vegan version, which has tons of veggies and a creamy dressing.
We had my parents over on Memorial Day, and I just had this urge to make macaroni salad. Usually when I see macaroni salad at a party or at the store, it seems kind of light on the vegetables and heavy on the dressing, so for this version I added extra vegetables and it was so good! All those extra peas and peppers add a lot of color to this salad, making it a pretty addition to the table.
You could do different colored peppers and onions if you wanted to add even more color to this salad!
This macaroni salad is perfect for all those upcoming summer barbecues. It’s easy to make, colorful, ideal for vegans or vegetarians, and gluten free (just use your favorite brand of gluten free macaroni).
Make sure if you use gluten free pasta that you don’t overcook it. If you boil it for too long, gluten free pasta has the tendency to turn into mush.
- 16 ounce box macaroni (I used gluten free macaroni)
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1½ cups frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise (I used Earth Balance Mindful Mayo)
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ⅓ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- Once the macaroni is cooked, drain and rinse it under cold water to cool down.
- Put the vegan mayonnaise, white vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and onion powder in a small bowl. Stir well until combined.
- Place the cooled macaroni in a large bowl. Add the all of the vegetables and pickle relish. Stir.
- Add the dressing and stir until everything is coated.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
What did you make this weekend? What’s your favorite dish to bring to a barbecue?
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Testing 3 Different Gluten Free Flour Brands in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. - September 26, 2016
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. - September 22, 2016
- Self Care for Food Allergy Moms – 5 Simple Tips. - September 21, 2016