It’s December 21st! You know what that means:
- Christmas is in 4 days. FOUR days.
- It’s time for another Recipe Redux!
This month, the Recipe Redux is celebrating, because it is 54 months old! This month’s challenge was a fun one – grab a favorite cookbook and open it to page 54 to find a recipe to adapt. I grabbed one of the very first cookbooks I ever owned, The Betty Crocker Quick and Easy Cookbook.
This cookbook is well used and loved – I made quite a few recipes from it before our food allergies and intolerances arrived on the scene. When I peeked at page 54, there was a recipe for a cheesy vegetable soup that looked just right for cold days.
It’s been a long time since I’ve had a cheese based soup, so I thought I would try to make it with dairy free substitutions. It turned out to be very tasty! And this soup is so incredibly simple, it’s a fast and easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeks.
If you make the rice ahead of time, this soup can be made in just 15 minutes. How’s that for a speedy meal?
Easy Cheesy Vegetable Soup.
- one small onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Daiya cheddar shreds
- 4 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk I used SO Delicious brand
- 2 cups cooked rice I used Jasmine rice, you could use any white or brown rice
- 16 ounces frozen California vegetable medley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Place the chopped onion and olive oil in a large pot and cook over medium heat for about 5-4 minutes, until translucent.
Add the unsweetened coconut milk and Daiya cheddar shreds. Stir until melted and smooth.
Add the cooked rice, frozen vegetables, garlic powder, and sea salt. Cook until heated through, about 8-10 minutes.
Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve with a salad or crackers.
How are you holding up just four days before Christmas?
Be sure to check out the other Recipe Redux posts below!
Latest posts by Kelly Roenicke (see all)
- Homemade Dairy Free Ranch Dressing. - April 7, 2017
- Vegan Chocolate Truffle Easter Eggs. - April 5, 2017
- Chocolate Gingerbread Mug Cake (Gluten Free and Vegan). - March 30, 2017