It’s December 21st! You know what that means:
- Christmas is in 4 days. FOUR days.
- It’s time for another Recipe Redux!
This month, the Recipe Redux is celebrating, because it is 54 months old! This month’s challenge was a fun one – grab a favorite cookbook and open it to page 54 to find a recipe to adapt. I grabbed one of the very first cookbooks I ever owned, The Betty Crocker Quick and Easy Cookbook.
This cookbook is well used and loved – I made quite a few recipes from it before our food allergies and intolerances arrived on the scene. When I peeked at page 54, there was a recipe for a cheesy vegetable soup that looked just right for cold days.
It’s been a long time since I’ve had a cheese based soup, so I thought I would try to make it with dairy free substitutions. It turned out to be very tasty! And this soup is so incredibly simple, it’s a fast and easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeks.
If you make the rice ahead of time, this soup can be made in just 15 minutes. How’s that for a speedy meal?
- one small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1½ cups Daiya cheddar shreds
- 4½ cups unsweetened coconut milk (I used SO Delicious brand)
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used Jasmine rice, you could use any white or brown rice)
- 16 ounces frozen California vegetable medley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place the chopped onion and olive oil in a large pot and cook over medium heat for about 5-4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the unsweetened coconut milk and Daiya cheddar shreds. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Add the cooked rice, frozen vegetables, garlic powder, and sea salt. Cook until heated through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve with a salad or crackers.
How are you holding up just four days before Christmas?
Be sure to check out the other Recipe Redux posts below!