These healthy stuffed sweet potatoes are full of all kinds of flavorful ingredients – this is a great vegan and gluten free meal.
The past two weeks have been super crazy around here. Darryl and I have had more gigs, which is great, but the extra gigs combined with more activities for the boys and just general summer busy-ness has made it a little bit of a circus.
And when it gets too crazy, that’s when I tend to just eat a bowl of cereal for lunch. Not great. Because then an hour and a half later, I’m “hangry,” and that just is not a pleasant state to be in.
So I’ve made it my business to have a couple of healthy and filling lunches that I can make in a hurry. It helps me to have lunch for myself kind of planned out, because that way I know I will be eating something that is good for me, easy to make, and tastes good, too.
I’ve made these healthy stuffed sweet potatoes several times now, and they are my favorite thing for lunch right now, so I thought I’d share them with you today.
When lunch time rolls around here, I’m usually in a hurry, so I have been microwaving my sweet potato. If you don’t want to use the microwave, then do it the old fashioned way in the oven. You’ll just have to plan ahead a little more! Personally, I don’t use the microwave all that often, but sometimes it comes in handy, especially on crazy days, and especially when I am craving a stuffed sweet potato!
Healthy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Broccoli.
These healthy stuffed sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients, and are a great gluten free lunch or dinner.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup Daiya cheese
- 2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 4 Tablespoons slivered almonds
- red pepper flakes
- Wash the sweet potatoes and pat dry. Place on a microwave safe plate and pierce with a fork in several places.
- Microwave on high for three minutes, then turn them over, and microwave for three more minutes. If they are still hard in the middle, continue to cook them until they are soft throughout.
- Wash the broccoli, and chop into small florets. Place in a microwave safe bowl with a few tablespoons of water and microwave on high for 90 seconds. Drain water out of bowl.
- Cut sweet potatoes open, and put vegan buttery spread in each one. Top with broccoli and Daiya cheddar cheese.
- Microwave on high for 45 seconds or until Daiya cheese is melted.
- Top with slivered almonds, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
*If you want to reduce the fat content, just use less or no vegan buttery spread.
Enjoy! What do you eat for lunch on crazy busy days?