This creamy double chocolate ice cream is easy to make without an ice cream maker, and it’s dairy free! A healthy frozen treat for summer.
I’m really getting ahead of myself here. It’s still in the 30’s, there’s still snow on my car, and here I am sharing summer recipes. A grilling recipe yesterday, and now an ice cream recipe today? I know, whoa, I need to slow down, right?
I can’t. I can’t wait any longer for easy, tasty, warm weather food.
This easy double chocolate ice cream is actually being shared today because of a reader request. I have a recipe for banana blueberry ice cream, and in that post I mention our favorite way to make banana ice cream – with chocolate. The reader wondered if I could share that recipe, and I thought, why not do it now, before the warm weather hits?
I think most people know how to make banana ice cream…the main part of it is slicing and freezing the bananas ahead of time. From there, you can customize the ice cream any way you like. You can add berries, pineapple, coconut flakes, chocolate, chocolate chips, peanut butter, sunbutter…the list goes on!
A food processor works best for this ice cream – the bananas will get chunky first, then will become little balls, then will become smooth and creamy.
- 4 bananas - sliced and then frozen
- 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 5 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 Tablespoons dairy free chocolate chips (leave out for Paleo)
- Optional: 2 Tablespoons peanut butter or sun butter, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, sprinkles
- Place the banana coins, cocoa powder, and maple syrup in a food processor. If you are using peanut butter or sun butter, add that at this time as well.
- Process until the mixture is smooth and creamy - this may take a few minutes. You may need to stop the processor and scrape down the sides.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, and any other mix ins.
- Serve immediately.
We love making this ice cream. My boys love it, and I love that it’s delicious and they are actually eating a healthy dessert!
Have you made banana ice cream before? Do you love it as much as we do?