Rich and delicious dairy free peppermint hot cocoa is a festive drink for the holiday season. The perfect way to warm up on a cold day!
December is here! ‘Tis the season for red cups and festive drinks.
Since you may not want to trust your festive drink orders to coffee shops due to allergens and cross contamination, it may be time to talk about how to make the very best dairy free peppermint hot cocoa in the comfort of your own home.
Peppermint hot cocoa is the perfect holiday drink, isn’t it? Picture it: you’re decorating the tree with your family, listening to Andy Williams, wearing your holiday plaid, and drinking mugs of peppermint hot cocoa. It doesn’t get any cozier than that.
Or, more realistically: you make this peppermint hot cocoa for yourself and gulp it down in the car between the 1500 things you have to do this holiday season. :)
You can make this hot cocoa with any non-dairy free milk that works for your dietary needs. I used 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk and 1 cup coconut milk creamer because that adds richness. If you aren’t a fan of peppermint, you can leave that out, or add vanilla extract.
- 3 cups non-dairy milk of your choice (I used 2 cups So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk, and 1 cup So Delicious Original Coconut Milk Creamer)
- 5 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- allergy friendly candy canes and chocolate shavings for serving
- So Delicious CocoWhip for serving
- Heat the non-dairy milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Do not bring to a boil.
- Add the unsweetened cocoa powder and sugar and stir well until smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the peppermint extract. Taste the cocoa and add more peppermint extract if desired.
- Pour the cocoa into mugs and top with CocoWhip and chocolate shavings. Garnish with a candy cane and serve immediately.
If you have a favorite holiday recipe you’d like to see an allergy friendly version of, let me know in the comments!