Simple, tasty, black bean and ham soup is a hearty and healthy gluten free and dairy free meal.
We love bean soups around here. I made this black bean soup a few weeks ago to use up some leftover ham. It was an easy and filling dinner with the addition of some gluten free crackers. I based this recipe on several bean soup recipes that I make frequently, but made a few changes based on what we had in the pantry.
Black beans are so good for you…well, all beans are good for you, but black beans have extra fiber and tons of protein. You could use white beans or pinto beans as well, it’s easy to make a substitution with beans. :)
Black Bean and Ham Soup.
- 30 ounces black beans Two cans - one drained and rinsed, and the other one with the juice
- 15 ounces diced Italian style tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a large pot. Once the onion is soft, add the tomatoes, broth, beans and spices. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- With a potato masher, smash up some of the beans. Stir.
- Add the chopped ham and red wine vinegar, stir and simmer for about ten more minutes.
Enjoy! You can top this black bean and ham soup with chopped avocado, but you could add cheese or sour cream if you do dairy, or green onions or fried onions would be good, too!
Other black bean recipes: